To better attune your attention to the first of our longer novels, experiment with the Pomodoro Technique in your reading for this week. Ideally, you will use a simple kitchen or mechanical timer, paper, and a pencil. Other suggested timers are listed below.
- Set your phone on airplane mode and turn off your laptop’s Wi-Fi.
- Set the pomodoro timer (traditionally to 25 minutes).
- End reading when the timer rings and put a checkmark on a piece of paper.
- If you have fewer than four checkmarks, take a short break to check your phone (5 minutes), then return to step 2.
- After four pomodoros, take a longer break (15–30 minutes), reset your checkmark count to zero, then go to step 1.
- ideally: simple kitchen/mechanical timer, paper, pencil
- phone’s clock
- web browser: marinara timer
- iPhone: Pomodoro Keeper
- Android: Pomodoro Timer Lite